Twins born free

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2001
      Congratulations to Giovanni La Barbera
      for delivering the biggest pair of
      twin primes that were freely conceived,
      i.e. not the product of a marriage of
      convenience between speed and rigour.

      4915416*10^1999+17 2006 p40 01 Twin, ECPP
      4915416*10^1999+19 2006 p40 01 Twin, ECPP

      This doubles the digits in the free twin record, I believe.

      Such a doubling requires about 64 times the processing,
      whereas doubling the BLS twin record requires only a
      16-fold increase. In a few years, when the BLS-constrained
      Minnesota giants appear rather puny, these free Italian
      twins will still stand comparison with their successors.

      David
    • David Underbakke
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2001
        At 03:39 PM 5/2/01 -0000, David Broadhurst wrote:
        >Congratulations to Giovanni La Barbera
        >for delivering the biggest pair of
        >twin primes that were freely conceived,
        >i.e. not the product of a marriage of
        >convenience between speed and rigour.

        >Such a doubling requires about 64 times the processing,
        >whereas doubling the BLS twin record requires only a
        >16-fold increase. In a few years, when the BLS-constrained
        >Minnesota giants appear rather puny, these free Italian
        >twins will still stand comparison with their successors.
        >
        >David

        I would like to second the congratulations. I agree that this record
        should stand comparison much longer than the current BLS records.

        As a trivia note, it was Giovanni La Barbera who taught me the importance
        of speed, rigour, and patience. After finishing a long project to better
        the fine twin work of Indlekofer, Jarai, Wassing;
        Giovanni La Barbera submitted a larger twin set less than 24 hours later.
        The consolation prize was a record that will probably never be broken...

        The shortest time as a largest twin prime.

        ___________

        David Underbakke
      • Giovanni La Barbera
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2001
          --- In primenumbers@y..., David Underbakke <david@u...> wrote:
          > At 03:39 PM 5/2/01 -0000, David Broadhurst wrote:
          > >Congratulations to Giovanni La Barbera
          > >for delivering the biggest pair of
          > >twin primes that were freely conceived,
          > >i.e. not the product of a marriage of
          > >convenience between speed and rigour.
          >
          > >Such a doubling requires about 64 times the processing,
          > >whereas doubling the BLS twin record requires only a
          > >16-fold increase. In a few years, when the BLS-constrained
          > >Minnesota giants appear rather puny, these free Italian
          > >twins will still stand comparison with their successors.
          > >
          > >David
          > >

          > I would like to second the congratulations. I agree that this
          record
          > should stand comparison much longer than the current BLS records.

          > David Underbakke

          Thanks for your congratulations.

          Finding and proving were made easier by weighty improvements of the
          programs used.

          a) Sieving, finding and PRP proving required 6 days to APSIEVE and
          PFGW

          b)The smaller prime test required about 150h to Titanix 2.0. x < 2.0.5

          c)The bigger one required 127h 40m to Titanix 2.0.5 without any break
          on a 450MHZ PENTIUM.
          The certification process is fully automated. No backtracking needs.

          As you can see, this record is not too expensive ...

          Giovanni and Marco La Barbera
        • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2001
            Giovanni La Barbera wrote:

            > The bigger one required 127h 40m to Titanix 2.0.5
            > without any break on a 450MHZ PENTIUM.
            > The certification process is fully automated.
            > No backtracking needs.
            > As you can see, this record is not too expensive ...

            Giovanni, like Bouk de Water, attests to Marcel Martin's
            amazing progress in automating the speedy proofs
            of arbitrary 2000-digit primes.

            I was recently chatting to Harvey Dubner,
            who marvels, as I do, that 2k digits, freeform,
            is now only a few days, and may require
            no user intervention. That is part of the
            explanation of how Bouk and I can upgrade
            the Dubner/Keller Fibonacci/Lucas records:
            when smart factorization produces a p2005,
            Bouk says: "no problem David, Titanix will
            prove that PrP factor real soon".

            Giovanni and Marco became legendary for test
            driving the Titanx-1 Ferrari. Now Marcel gives
            us, in Titanix-2, a family Fiat that goes appreciably
            faster than that original grand-prix Ferrari.