Re: Sixteen or Bust

  • gchil0
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 1, 2002
      David: Yes, there is a lot of resentment around...I warned you about
      that. The messages also contain:

      "I feel especially bad for Phil as I did use his sieveing data and now
      he apprently hates us even though he doesn't know us. I'm sorry man, I
      still want to thank you though. Same goes for Ian Lowman and all the
      other previous searchers. Thank you for the work you have done. No one
      here has forgetten your efforts and the amature math community
      appriciates your support."

      and

      "All I know for sure is Wilfrid Keller clearly stated that he is no
      longer interested in organizing a second search and that he was also
      no longer interested in recieving corrispondence about it. He also
      wished SB good luck in spite of our differences so kudos to him."

      and

      "i see some people claiming that we didn't prove the number was prime
      because SB does a prp test. yeah, we know, of course we did a full
      proth test after the number was identified. we did it (several times)
      long before we made the announcement."

      and

      "today i recieved an email from the searcher of k=19249. he told me
      he's still testing parts of that k. that's cool with me, so the k is
      his until he decides what n value he might want to let SB start
      working on it. any of the other searchers are welcome to email me
      too."

      Yes, this selection is biased toward the nicer sections, but it at
      least counters the negative bias of the below quoted section and the
      idea that they simply bulldozed over all numbers with no thought or
      compassion for the previous searchers. I still recommend reading the
      entire thing for a more balanced view.

      Greg

      --- In primenumbers@y..., "David Broadhurst" <d.broadhurst@o...>
      wrote:
      > Greg: You pointed to a message where lhelm at umich.edu says:
      > > Instead of talking to me,
      > > Keller blew me off,
      > > takes down his site,
      > > poisons the minds of everyone he knows and
      > > then sends me dictionary definitions like i'm an 8 year
      > How does that help to cool things down?
      > David (unpoisioned mind)
    • Ken Davis
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi All,
        I must say that it distresses me greatly to see such rancour amongst
        such great minds.
        I never realised that people were reserving( proclaiming exclusive
        right to) ranges of k's, n's or whatever.
        I thought the idea was to make it known that you were searching a
        particular area so that other people didn't waste CPU cycles redoing
        work.
        My decision to select n!11-1 to search based on the fact that it was
        marked as free was not so much that it was marked as free but that I
        was sure that I wasn't redoing someone elses work.
        With !n there are an infinite number of choices so I didn't have to
        tread on any toes.
        With only 17 sierpinski K available, and as is obvious from SOB,
        100's of willing searchers how could we expect one person to be able
        to search one K for what could be years.
        Again I state I am currently searching n!11-1 (n=1-200000) n!11+1 (1-
        200000) and n!2(30000-50000). I have 13 machines searching various
        ranges some top-down but intend to complete all 3 ranges (including
        redoing 35K of numbers which were done with my p4). If somone thinks
        it is worth their time also tesing within theses ranges the so be it.
        I DON'T own them, there just numbers!
        cheers
        Ken