Re: Sixteen or Bust

  • gchil0
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi,

      There seems to be a lot of resentment and mis-information floating
      around on both sides, while only 1 side seems to be represented on
      this list. Please read the postings at
      http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=ed1884cc6eb77f9fd0a62eb7964b69c1&threadid=2050
      (there are only 5) to get the other side of the story. There is a bit
      of bashing of this list there, but that's not unexpected considering
      the heat on both sides.

      Greg
      (hoping this will clear up some issues so we can get away from
      politics and back to mathematics)
    • Ken Davis
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi All,
        I must say that it distresses me greatly to see such rancour amongst
        such great minds.
        I never realised that people were reserving( proclaiming exclusive
        right to) ranges of k's, n's or whatever.
        I thought the idea was to make it known that you were searching a
        particular area so that other people didn't waste CPU cycles redoing
        work.
        My decision to select n!11-1 to search based on the fact that it was
        marked as free was not so much that it was marked as free but that I
        was sure that I wasn't redoing someone elses work.
        With !n there are an infinite number of choices so I didn't have to
        tread on any toes.
        With only 17 sierpinski K available, and as is obvious from SOB,
        100's of willing searchers how could we expect one person to be able
        to search one K for what could be years.
        Again I state I am currently searching n!11-1 (n=1-200000) n!11+1 (1-
        200000) and n!2(30000-50000). I have 13 machines searching various
        ranges some top-down but intend to complete all 3 ranges (including
        redoing 35K of numbers which were done with my p4). If somone thinks
        it is worth their time also tesing within theses ranges the so be it.
        I DON'T own them, there just numbers!
        cheers
        Ken