Re: [PrimeNumbers] Sixteen or Bust

  • nrussell@acsu.buffalo.edu
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 1, 2002
      --On Sunday, December 01, 2002 3:57 PM +0100 Yves Gallot
      <galloty@...> wrote:

      > If Stephen Gibson was notified that his hardware found a PRP by someone
      > else, he cannot be the discoverer. The discoverer is the first human that
      > checked (or will check?) the primality by running the proof on a computer.

      Would I be truly evil if I were to help SB out by "discovering" this number
      tomorrow?

      It would take 8 hours, at most.

      Nathan
    • Ken Davis
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 2, 2002
        Hi All,
        I must say that it distresses me greatly to see such rancour amongst
        such great minds.
        I never realised that people were reserving( proclaiming exclusive
        right to) ranges of k's, n's or whatever.
        I thought the idea was to make it known that you were searching a
        particular area so that other people didn't waste CPU cycles redoing
        work.
        My decision to select n!11-1 to search based on the fact that it was
        marked as free was not so much that it was marked as free but that I
        was sure that I wasn't redoing someone elses work.
        With !n there are an infinite number of choices so I didn't have to
        tread on any toes.
        With only 17 sierpinski K available, and as is obvious from SOB,
        100's of willing searchers how could we expect one person to be able
        to search one K for what could be years.
        Again I state I am currently searching n!11-1 (n=1-200000) n!11+1 (1-
        200000) and n!2(30000-50000). I have 13 machines searching various
        ranges some top-down but intend to complete all 3 ranges (including
        redoing 35K of numbers which were done with my p4). If somone thinks
        it is worth their time also tesing within theses ranges the so be it.
        I DON'T own them, there just numbers!
        cheers
        Ken