Re: [PrimeNumbers] Chen's next best thing

  • mikeoakes2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 27, 2002
      d.broadhurst@... writes:

      > This is the best that is proven, it seems:
      > <<
      > 55 #7959
      > Chen, Jing Run
      > On the representation of a larger even integer as the
      > sum of a prime and the product of at most two primes.
      > Sci. Sinica 16 (1973), 157--176.

      See also my message of 5 Nov
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/9624
      for a pointer to a reprint of this proof.

      Being a rigorously correct one, rather than the hand-waving "proofs" we see
      so often on this list [no names, no pack drill...], it is ferociously
      difficult to follow.
      (I've read it (twice) and absorbed the flavour only, not every detail.)

      It would be nice if no-one were allowed to post their "proof" of Goldbach
      until they had determined what precisely it was that the towering genius of
      Chen had missed - and for that they would first have to _understand_ what he
      did. That would staunch the flow of rubbish postings quite effectively.

      Mike