990Factor Record

  • paulmillscv@yahoo.co.uk
    Apr 25, 2001
      Hi to all,
      I conclude the discovery of irreducible a priori `factorised'
      closed forms with a bit more theory and an interesting question.

      We already have that q ( = 2*p + 1) / (2p)! + 1.
      Now if we look for primes of the form q = 3*p + 1 then we can use
      Wilson's theorem to obtain (q-1)! == -1 mod q or
      (3p)! + 1 == 0 mod q or q / (3p)! + 1
      Similarly we can look for primes of the form q = X*p +1 and
      the new `factored' form is q / (X*p)! + 1 . We can even look
      for primes of the form
      q = X*p + Y X, and Y integers. Then the factored form is
      q / (X*p + (Y-1))! + 1

      So we now have a `large' number of new primes to look for, of the
      form q = X*p + Y
      and each new record prime of this form (Generalised Sophie Gemain)
      will enable a still larger number to be factored `a priori.'

      My question is this , can anyone prove there are in fact an
      infinite number of primes of the form q = 2*p +1 ? (Sophie
      Germain) or indeed of the form q = X*p + Y?

      From David Burton's book if p and q are twin primes there is a
      formula,
      p*q / 4((p-1)! + 1) + p which is a `doubly factored' form
      p*q / f(p)
      And p and q are twin primes. So Phil Carmody and David Underbakke
      can claim a new world record factorisation by plugging their record
      twin into this form!

      Finally, to end on a lighter note and also with another question and
      possibly a new standard. H.E. Rose writes in his famous book
      p12 `For a typical 500 digit integer it would take more than a
      lifetime to find its factors.' My question is, how long would it
      take to factor ANY random 500 digit integer today? Perhaps this can
      be called the `Rose500' benchmark in honour of H.E. Rose.

      Regards,
      Paul Mills,
      Kenilworth,
      England.