9026Re: New largest known ordinary prime

  • paulunderwooduk
    Oct 2, 2002
      --- In primenumbers@y..., Marcel Martin <znz@f...> wrote:

      > On Paul Zimmerman page
      >
      > http://www.loria.fr/~zimmerma/records/primes.html
      >
      > one can read this:
      > >The largest known ordinary prime is 2^64695-32769 (19476 digits),
      > >proved prime by Paul Underwood, David Broadhurst, Bouk de Water
      and
      > >Paul Leyland on September 30, 2002.

      That's now changed and Primo/ECPP is again #1 general prime proving
      program/method.

      By "ordinary" I thought the number does not have any special form
      such as Proth's or any of the other _usual_ N+-1 provable forms. I
      thought any number of the form b^n+-k where k>1 is very small could
      be a candidate for an ordinary prime.

      Paul