9004Re: [PrimeNumbers] RE: Largest Ordinary Prime?

  • Carl Devore
    Sep 30, 2002
      On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, David Broadhurst wrote:
      > Ordinary it ain't, since it was possible, with a huge
      > effort by Paul Underwood, Bouk de Water, Paul Leyland
      > and myself, to factorize 30.08% of N+1=2^15*(2^64680-1)
      > and hence to prove N prime using Konyagin-Pomerance.

      Also, major efficiency gains can be realized for simple arithmetic with a
      number with such a sparse binary representation. Whether the code
      actually exploited those efficiencies I don't know.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic