6920Re: E-bay, honesty and a prime stamp : THE END

  • primemogul
    May 11, 2002
      --- In primenumbers@y..., Phil Carmody <thefatphil@y...> wrote:
      > --- Chris Caldwell <caldwell@u...> wrote:
      > > I have one image on my pages which I do not have
      > > the rights to use, it is the image of a
      > > postage mark which says "2^11213-1 is prime"
      > >
      > > http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/gifs/postage.gif
      >
      > If you don't have the rights to use it then you've probably just
      > dug yourself deeper... :-)
      > However, I'm curious where the 'rights' to this lie.

      Who knows... but now I have the real thing! Paul Bateman,
      who created both of the famous stamps there (the other was
      "four colors suffice") sent me an original he created in
      1985 (plus his permission):

      http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/gifs/stamp.gif

      The Mersenne was used from 1966 to 1976, then the four colors was
      implemented. Apparantly the original template was discarded
      by a non-academic employee when the campus switched to a new
      postage system.

      Chris.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic