5078Re: Fermat Factoring with First Digits

    Feb 3, 2002
      Thanks, Milton, for indicating how you might use
      (as opposed to determine) leading digits of factors:

      > I just modified it [Fermat] to start with a different value
      > of k based on knowing the first digits of the two factors

      So _if_ you knew the first 10 digits
      of the factors of RSA-576, as you claimed in

      or maybe even the first 15, as you later claimed,
      what good would it do you?

      Could you please tell us the number of Fermat tests
      that you would then need to do, and also compare it with
      the number of femtoseconds since the universe began?