274RE: [PrimeNumbers] NewPGen 2.4 available.
- Feb 1, 2001Is it possible to get the source to this package or other prime number
Robert L. Sitton
Daring ideas are like chess men moved forward. They may be beaten, but they
may start a winning game.-- Goethe
From: Paul Jobling [mailto:Paul.Jobling@...]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:38 AM
To: Primes-L (E-mail); Primeform (E-mail)
Subject: [PrimeNumbers] NewPGen 2.4 available.
There is a new minor release of NewPGen available at:
This release includes the following:
- If the bitmap is too small to sieve the range that you want to sieve,
NewPGen will break it up and sieve each in turn up to 1 billion before
recombining them and sieving as normal. So if the bitmap can only hold 1
million k's and you want to sieve 10 million k's, NewPGen will sieve the k's
from 1 to 1 million (up to p=1 billion); then the k's from 1 million to 2
million (up to p=1 billion); etc, then it will combine the results of these
together before sieving on from 1 billion.
I have used this a lot myself while testing the software and it means that
don't now need a huge amount of RAM to sieve wide ranges.
- The "Iterations between automatic saves" has been turned into "Minutes
between automatic saves"
- The k.2^n sieves run ~5% faster on some processors
Virus checked by MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
Unsubscribe by an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Prime Pages : http://www.primepages.org
- << Previous post in topic