25117Re: Unknown Mathematician Proves Elusive Property of Prime Numbers

  • John
    May 28, 2013
      I must say that some of the popular exposition of this discovery of Zhang has been to allow the impression that there is a limit to the size of prime gaps, a proposition that puzzled me for a while, but which would have never occured to a Mathematician worth of the name due to its implicit dismissal of established theory.

      All that Zhang seems to have assured us, and this is the comforting news, is that no how far along the number line we go, that at some stage we will find a prime gap of less than about 70 million.

      In fact, it seems to be to imply that for some value less than the "Zhang Number" which is about 70 million, there is an infinite number of prime gaps, which fact gives some hope of proving the twin primes is infinite. But, the obvious gets no Brownie points, which is not to say that Zhang should not get the credit he deserves.

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, whygee@... wrote:
      > Le 2013-05-27 23:13, djbroadhurst a écrit :
      > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      > > "Mohsen" <mafshin89@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Unknown Mathematician Proves Elusive Property of Prime Numbers
      > >> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/05/twin-primes/
      > >
      > > I think that "unknown", in this context, means "not known
      > > to the first pundit that was asked" (in this case, perhaps,
      > > Andrew Granville, who often gets asked to respond, on the hoof).
      > but it's Wired, so the title has to appeal to the geeks and casual
      > readers
      > and play with the notion that even in the field of Mathematics,
      > you too could become a star.
      > Maths look more and more like a social science to me these days...
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic