25080Re: Unread heros of Math & Physics

  • mikeoakes2
    May 20, 2013

      > Phil's guess about the primality of 91 was bettered by
      > Grothendieck's guess about the primality of 57:
      >
      > http://www.ams.org/notices/200410/fea-grothendieck-part2.pdf
      >
      > >> One striking characteristic of Grothendieck's
      > mode of thinking is that it seemed to rely so little
      > on examples. This can be seen in the legend of the
      > so-called "Grothendieck prime". In a mathematical
      > conversation, someone suggested to Grothendieck
      > that they should consider a particular prime number.
      > "You mean an actual number?" Grothendieck
      > asked. The other person replied, yes, an actual
      > prime number. Grothendieck suggested, "All right,
      > take 57." <<

      Thank you, David, for directing us to that intriguing article about a very strange man.
      I was struck by this:

      In a brief memoir about Grothendieck,
      Ladegaillerie wrote: "I had had as professors
      in Paris some of the great mathematicians of the
      day, from Schwartz to Cartan, but Grothendieck was
      completely different, an extra-terrestrial.<<

      Mike
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic