25049Re: Euler

    Apr 28, 2013
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      "John" <mistermac39@...> wrote:

      > Today was Euler's Birthday.
      > What a genius!
      > Euler, I believe, great and magnamimous man that he was,
      > would have given me the time of day. He was very good at
      > simplifying and explaining things.
      > I am amazed that he is not held in even higher esteem
      > than he already is.
      > So many fields of research, and such insight.
      > Pity there were not more men like him.

      Thanks, John, for that tribute.

      Everyone has his/her favourites.

      After 1600, my favourite mathematicians are
      Newton, Euler, Gauss,
      and my favourite physicists are
      Newton, Maxwell, Einstein.

      Some people might choose Riemann instead of Euler,
      some might choose Dirac instead of Maxwell.
      (It's hard to keep Newton out of either list, even
      though he was not a particularly likeable person.)

      Best wishes