24984What if Mr. X would have a formula for the prime series?

  • Kermit Rose
    Apr 3, 2013
      On 4/3/2013 8:29 AM, primenumbers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > 1a. What if Mr. X would have a formula for the prime series?
      > Posted by: "viva8698"vaseghisam@... viva8698
      > Date: Tue Apr 2, 2013 12:34 pm ((PDT))
      >
      > Recently we had a great discussion during a meeting with colleague matematicians and we opened a theme that seems to get quite an interesting intellectual quiz:
      >
      > What would be the consequences if Mr. X would have a formula to calculate from a given prime the whole ordered series of the subsequent primes one after the other?
      >
      > - easily said he gets the 2 and he calcualtes with his formula 3, 5, 7,...

      :) This would make a good mathematical fiction story.

      It is to be assumed that the formula, which implies an algorithm, is at
      least as fast as a low degree polynomial to evaluate.

      > The question appeared to us at the first glance as a joke but soon brought us to a very serious discussion and an explosion of ideas and questions, as well. On the top of many question marks a couple of them were quite hot:
      >
      > 1- Would we need to solve the Riemann hypothesis then at all even if Mr. X and his solution does not provide any way to connect to Zeta?

      I would expect that the formula of Mr. X would necessarily show a
      trivial way to prove the Riemann hypothesis.

      http://primes.utm.edu/notes/rh.html

      > 2- Would we need to solve all the mountain of conjectures around the primes? And if yes which one?

      ??? Do you mean this question the other way around? Would the formula
      of Mr. X, and the associated
      theory by which he developed it, easily solve all those other conjectures?

      > Indeed one major point of discussion was to remind:
      >
      > 3- What where Euler, Riemann, and all the many great mathematicians seeking for? And what are they still honestly seeking for, when it comes to primes?

      Perhaps they were looking for that magical formula found by Mr. X.

      > Of course there was some bizar questions as well:
      >
      > - which price would Mr. X be awarded? - Surely not the Nobel price!

      Will the associated theory by which Mr. X derived his formula help him
      factor arbitrarily large positive integers?

      > - how should Mr. X publish his formula? or should he keep it for himself?

      It depends on whether or not everyone knowing his formula and associated
      theory would allow
      crooks to break encryption of electronic commercial transactions.

      Kermit Rose
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic