24977Re: [PrimeNumbers] What if Mr. X would have a formula for the prime series?

  • Jack Brennen
    Apr 2, 2013
      There are computationally inefficient formulas:

      Define a function F(a,b) to be equal to a/gcd(a,b^10).

      Next_prime(x) is then equal to:

      sum for n=x to Infinity of floor(1/F(n!,x!))

      I believe this function is correct for all integers x >= 0.

      In practice, you only need to sum until you get a zero value,
      and all subsequent values will be zero.

      What makes the above computationally infeasible, even for relatively
      small numbers, is that x! is already beyond representation in any
      known computer long before finding primes becomes difficult.