24976Re: [PrimeNumbers] What if Mr. X would have a formula for the prime series?

  • yasep16
    Apr 2, 2013
      Le 2013-04-02 21:34, viva8698 a écrit :
      > Recently we had a great discussion during a meeting with colleague
      > matematicians and we opened a theme that seems to get quite an
      > interesting intellectual quiz:
      > What would be the consequences if Mr. X would have a formula to
      > calculate from a given prime the whole ordered series of the
      > subsequent primes one after the other?

      There is no such computationally efficient *formula*.

      However there are _algorithms_, with obvious drawbacks.
      It's not what most mathematicians want, hope or dream of,
      but Mathematics is not created to please us either.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic