2467Re: [PrimeNumbers] Titanix speed

    Sep 1, 2001
      On Sat, 01 September 2001, Nathan Russell wrote:
      > Am I the only one who has noticed that Primo actually seems to run
      > faster under wine than under windows? It doesn't seem to make sense,
      > so I'm thinking it might just be my imagination, and having an
      > unregistered copy I can't easily benchmark it, but just thought I'd
      > mention.

      Which windoze?
      I once saw some SETI benchmarks, which showed a _huge_ difference between block times on identical hardware depending on which version of Windoze is used. (huge = tens of percents)
      I have noticed in the past that Proth and Primeform have both run faster under Wine than natively on NT (which I think was the fastest of the windozes in the seti tests I saw), but only by about 2%. My guess is that it's a combination of several things. Firstly memory management, and secondly task scheduling. Nowadays Linux is very efficient at both.

      http://www.shopping.altavista.com
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic