24380Re: Impossible to Prove ??

  • Aldrich
    Aug 11, 2012
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, James Merickel <moralforce120@...> wrote:

      > I think that having gone through (at least) 5 editions and been scrutinized by all of the best number theorists in the world for the better part of a century makes this a safe assumption.
      > JGM

      Chapter 15 of Hardy/Wright looks to me like the basis
      for the issquare functions. Can the appropriate issquare
      for A = 14x^2 + 14xy + y^2 be expressed as 7(2x + y)^2 = 2A?

      To get back to the original conjectures, I don't see how
      it immediately follows from Hardy/Wright Theorem 257 that
      A = 5x^2 + 5xy + y^2 has as values ALL of the possible
      values of primes that are +/- 1 mod 10 while the similar
      B = 5x^2 + 25xy + y^2 will not.

      I also don't see how it immediately follows that
      A = 2x^2 + 2xy + y^2 has as values ALL of the
      possible values of primes that are +1 mod 4
      while the similar B = 8x^2 + 8xy + y^2 will not.

      Surely there must be more to the proofs than just
      reading the definitions found in chapter 15.

      Aldrich
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic