24119SMODA factoring algorithm "setback"?

  • WarrenS
    Mar 5, 2012
      > > I have not been following this in detail, but I gained the impression
      > > that Warren's original advert was far too optimistic and that now
      > > his heuristic for oracular factorization has escalated from
      > > exp(log(N)^(1/3+o(1))) to the far less encouraging
      > > exp(log(N)^(2/3+o(1))) as the time to construct a database.
      > >
      > > Is this a fair summary of the setback?

      --to say it in brief, there was no "setback" since it always was this way, and
      as far as I currently know my "original adverts" remain valid and were in no way too optimistic.

      However, SMODA still has not been implemented & tested nor have the papers received much
      thrashing from expert readers, so there remains risk it will self-destruct.