24034Re: The history of the primality of one

    Feb 3, 2012
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com,
      Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...> wrote:

      > And we can't really decide whether we want companies
      > or bands to be singular or plural

      Is/are Manchester ******* United singular/plural?

      Meanwhile, back in the archives: on page 252 of
      http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/31246.html
      Rouse Ball indicates that Mersenne may
      have condered 2^p - 1 to be prime for p = 1:

      "In the preface to the Cogitata a statement is made about
      perfect numbers, which implies that the only values of p not
      greater than 257 which make N prime, where N = 2^p - 1, are
      1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 13, 17, 19, 31, 67, 127, and 257.."

      However, Chris's students should check the original Latin for this.
      So far they are expected to be adept in Greek, Latin, Italian,
      German, French and English. Maybe Euler wrote something
      relevant in Russian:
      http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cJTkQxTvGa4C