22306Re: [PrimeNumbers] Simple question on "decades"

  • Maximilian Hasler
    Dec 28, 2010
      yes, the decades =1 (mod 3) contain about twice as much primes as the
      others, i.e. about half of the primes.
      Prime sieving "wheels" do commonly use the fact that primes >5 must equal
      1,7,11,13, 17,19, 23, 29 (mod 30)
      and they are roughly equally distributed among these 8 possible residues
      of which 4 are in the decades you mention.

      Maximilian

      On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:36 AM, rupert.wood@...
      <rupert.weather@...> wrote:
      > I suspect this has been addressed somewhere. But here goes, anyway.
      >
      > In asymptotic (ratio) terms, are the decades 10-19, 40-49, 70-79, ... (which of course have no 3-divisors in the odd numbers except "at 5") any more likely to contain more primes than the other decades? I would guess that this is not so.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic