2016RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Random prime numbers generator

  • Paul Leyland
    Jul 31, 2001
      > Firstly find a bignumber library which provides a probable primality
      > test (or a 'Miller Rabin' test). I know that GMP has such a test.
      > Other bignum libraries that are held in high regard are LIP and
      > Miracl, but I can't say off the top of my head whether they provide
      > such a test.

      LIP undoubtedly does.

      > Then generate a random bitstring which in the range that you are
      > looking for.

      That advice is sweeping an aweful lot of complexity under the carpet!

      If you want your numbers for crypto, you must be very sure that the
      random bitsring generator is cryptographically strong itself and is fed
      with sufficient entropy to make keysearch attacks infeasible.

      Paul
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic