17885Re: Cubic x^3 + x^2 + x + t prime generators

  • Mark Underwood
    Mar 30, 2006
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Phil Carmody <thefatphil@...>
      >wrote:>
      > Phi's are cyclotomic polynomials. They are the primitive parts of
      the family of
      > polynomials f(x) = x^n-1. Equivalently they are the minimal
      polynomial which
      > vanishes at each of the primitive n-th roots of unity.
      > e.g.
      > Phi(2) = x+1, as -1 is the only primitive 2nd root of unity,
      > Phi(4) = x^2+1, as +/-i are the only two primitive 4th roots of
      >unity.

      Thank you Phil, Jose and Jack for shedding some light on the theory
      and showing some pretty brilliant methodologies to boot. And showing
      the capabilities of GP Pari. I have alot to mull over.

      Robert, k^n-k^(n-1) has of course factors of k so I assume you did a
      typo somewhere?

      Mark
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic