15258Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Question, I'm new.

  • Nathan Russell
    Sep 1, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Bigfoot <plano9@...>
      Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:35:31 -0000
      Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Question, I'm new.
      To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com

      What's the method used to determine if a sum or product is infinite
      or not?

      Don't know about products. For sums:

      Generally definite integration works, though it won't tell you
      *exactly* what a value converges to (in which case you use a computer
      to do the first thousand, and can generally see, from what I
      remember).

      In the case of the primes, and some other cases, its outright easy (by
      the way, 1^n+2^n+3^n+... will diverge for all n >= -1, but very
      slowly right at -1)

      Nathan
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic