      It would be helpful to explain these, or have your mathematics
      thought out more before posting.

      Milton L. Brown
      miltbrown at earthlink.net

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Ron" <Yaho6Hb3c@...>
      To: <primenumbers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 8:13 PM
      Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Boolean algebra solver?

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leyland <pcl@w...> wrote:
      > What is not yet known is what complexity class factoring
      > belongs to.

      I see. Thank you Paul, as well as D├ęcio for saving me countless
      hours of unnecessarily wasted effort. As I understand it then, the
      real problem in this particular case would be to "reverse" the
      equations I mentioned so that the a's and b's are solved for in
      terms of the bits of the composite number to be factored rather
      than the way I show them? In other words, what I need (for
      example) is to convert equations like these:

      n1 = a1 ^ 1
      n2 = a1 ^ b1
      (Where n1 and n2 are binary bits of the composite number to be

      Into something like this:

      a1 = n1 ^ 1
      b1 = n1 ^ n2 ^ 1

      I realize this is probably impossible in general, but if it *were*
      possible it would show that factoring is in P, right?

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic