13955Re: [PrimeNumbers] Infinite primes-> a Turing Machine prime sieve that never stops?

  • Roger Bagula
    Nov 4, 2003
      The concept of "infinity"
      is a Platonic ideal.
      It can't be proven.
      It is a limiting axiomatic definition (asymptotic).
      So arguing if such an such types of infinity
      exist , makes sense only if the limiting
      case is assumed to exist in the first place.
      Mathematics can be defined as two cases:
      1) numbers where infinity is defined
      2) numbers where no infinity is defined or definable as
      being a non-operational definition
      ( it crashes Mathematica, ha, ha... )
      It is a philosophical distinction outside of normal mathematics.
      Called since Gödel's time "metamathematical" statements/ arguments
      after it was realized that a philosophical threshold
      existed in certain kinds of proofs.
      Statements like :
      3) Aleph1=2^Aleph0
      are outside of ordinary mathematics.
      The algebra of transfinites is really a form of
      metamathematics invented and outside ordinary mathematics.
      It has it's own axiom system and rules.
      The idea of an infinite prime would have to be
      in this context and not in the context of finite primes at all.
      A lot of people don't like it pointed out that irrational numbers depend on
      a statement like 3)
      being accepted as an axiomatic definition.
      Like Euclid's product proof,
      Cantor's proof of transfinites is also widely faulted in
      modern mathematics.
      The result is you get philosophical
      and nearly religious in tone arguments
      in mathematical forms like these egroups.
      At first I didn't realize that it was that basic a
      "postulate" , "axiom"
      or
      "definition", but it has become clear
      that it is.
      In modern science we are talking about a quantum
      measure limit near 10^(-33) cm, below which
      what we know of as material and fields can't exist.
      Much of current discussion on quantum gravity
      comes down to "finite lattices" of spatial points.
      So ideas at the integer level become very important.
      And "infinities" become important on a philosophical
      basis:
      do they exist
      or don't they?
      Most of our calculations that make up
      our ordinary lives don't require that any kind of infinity exists.

      I don't know if any of this answers you list of questions or not.
      I really don't like to get in such discussions,
      since math people seem to ignore any philosophical issues by defining
      them away.
      Axioms and definitions are an answer to all their thinking problems?
      As a physical scientist ( chemist, physical scientist)
      I'm not bound by those rules in my thinking.
      So I'm glad to say I can think of things outside of those rules.
      I used to think that the topological approach was an answer
      but that approach is bounded by set theory as well
      and the logical problems of set theory seem to crop up
      in it's proofs of infinite primes too?

      The basic/ fundamental question seems to be :
      Is any system that is based on axioms that resolve into
      Platonic ideals, actually inductively defensible
      as a form of knowledge?

      In other words is science more fundamental
      philosophically than mathematics at a metamathematical level?

      Respectfully, Roger L. Bagula
      tftn@..., 11759Waterhill Road, Lakeside,Ca 92040-2905,tel: 619-5610814 :