10947Re: Prime

  • thefatphil <thefatphil@yahoo.co.uk>
    Jan 15, 2003
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Joel Hopper <prime@d...>" <prime@d...> wrote:
      > I think I found a "big 'un" and submitted it to the prime page. I'm
      > just curious as to how long it normally takes for submittals to be
      > deemed "official"?

      They're batched, and it can take several days.

      > Also, while searching my list of sieved possibles, my prp app
      > (prp.exe) found one that it said was probably, but proth.exe said
      > was not prime. How can I find more information about this "psuedo
      > prime" (as a friend in the math business called it)?

      There's always the section on the Prime Pages http://primepages.org/

      If you post your pseudoprime here, then we might be able to work out why it's a pseudoprime. They're quite rare, and typically they'll have a special form such as being a product (n+1)(3n+1). To find one that's a proth form (k.2^n+1) would be most unusual.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic