10075Re: [PrimeNumbers] Primality proving around 10^14

  • Jud McCranie
    Nov 30, 2002
      At 11:19 AM 11/30/2002 -0500, mikeoakes2@... wrote:

      >Having just devoted a GHz-week or so to verifying the primality of about 30
      >million completely-general numbers of about 14 decimal digits using trial
      >division (after ensuring they passed a (relatively) swift
      >pseudo-prime-to-base-x test or two), the question inevitably presents itself:-
      >Is there any quicker way?

      Yes. First, though, do some quick trial divisions, then do a strong
      pseudoprime test. My program does 1,000,000 of them in that range (odd and
      even) in 13.6 seconds, so it would so 30 million in about 7 minutes. It
      does a trial division for the first 100 primes and then switches to
      Miller-Rabin.