Re: [primeform] Re: AP24

  • Jaroslaw Wroblewski
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 18, 2007
      Thank you for all the congrats.

      I started this particular search January 11 afternoon. I had access
      to the network of computers at Mathematical Institute of Wroclaw
      University:
      15 computers with 64-bit Athlons
      15 computers with double core 64-bit Pentium D 805 (running 2 threads, but both
      threads combined were just slightly more productive than a single
      Athlon64)
      30 32-bit Athlons 2500 and 15 Durons 900 - but 32-bit computers were
      very slow on my program, so you can count them all perhaps as about
      5 64-bit machines.

      All were under Linux, with my own C-code. They were in students labs, so
      they were working only partly during the day and mostly at night (however
      sometimes few of them were not accessible at night too).

      I estimate the storage memory used by the program was in the range 100-200kB,
      so should fit in cache, at least on better machines.

      It is hard to tell what was the exact cumulative time, perhaps
      4,000+-1,000 hours of a single 64-bit machine would be a reasonable
      guess.

      Now, the truth is that I was quite lucky too. While running the program
      I got 4 AP22's, rediscovered one known AP23, and the AP24 was the 6th
      progression of length at least 22. I think I did deserve to find AP24
      this year, but getting it after a week instead of many months required a
      lot of luck.

      Jarek
    • Sean A. Irvine
      Message 32 of 32 , May 18, 2008