A few notes about list policy

  • Chris Nash
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2001
      Hi folks,

      <moderator>

      I'm coming out of moderator hibernation for a brief note about list
      etiquette and behavior. Generally this list requires little or no
      control over content, and I for one would like it to stay that way.
      However on occasion tempers do get a little flared around here, and so
      it is time to settle that down.

      Yahoo itself does some limited enforcement for obvious abuse of the
      service. This includes the qualification of obvious 'spam' and cross-
      posting, but does not include more 'tactical' methods such as trolling.
      Nor does it enforce the group charter - that's my responsibility.

      primeform/

      "By all means use the list to discuss anything prime-related. Theory,
      algorithms, methods,
      and other computer programs are suitable topics."

      That definition is intentionally broad and it's very rare for topics to
      travel outside that domain. Recently there have been a couple of
      examples. From now on, that will be grounds for removal from the list -
      I want to keep a clean house around here.

      Another thing I will enforce relates to the "spirit" of the Yahoo Terms
      of Service at http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ - in particular section
      6. This and many other lists have recently seen a lot of traffic which
      may be defended as *not* spam material, because it either does have a
      connection with the group subject, is posted regularly, but perhaps not
      in bulk, or because it originates from distinct e-mail addresses.
      However, the category system of the Yahoo list service makes it
      relatively easy to "troll" an entire category with advertisements for
      products, services, or, more commonly, links. These messages tend to
      also achieve the other aspect of trolling - they generate a large
      number of replies and annoyance from other list members. Many of the
      members of this list are very passionate about two subjects - the list
      topic *and* the preservation of "netiquette", so the impact of these
      messages is far larger than may first be expected. (In addition, the
      members of this list are commonly members of other lists receiving the
      exact same trolls).

      I will strongly suggest that posters who wish to publish links would
      instead consider publishing their link in the links area of the group
      at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primeform/links which should prevent
      multiple posts of the same link (deeplinking will also not be
      tolerated). I also do not object to announcing the new link *once* to
      the list. I notice that the more seasoned members of this list will
      often post to the links or files areas without even needing to announce
      them. This minimizes traffic for all non-moderator list members (note
      that as moderator I am notified of all such postings and do screen them
      for suitability as a matter of routine).

      I sincerely hope I never have to take any moderator action on this
      list. It has been running happily for two and a half years with only
      one incident to date. Please, use common sense when posting - that's
      all I ask!

      </moderator>

      Chris Nash
      Moderator, primeform@yahoogroups.com
    • GSBsgb
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
        Dear Moderator.

        I have requested quite some time back to remove me from your list.
        Even then I was receiving a few mails occasionally, which didn't matter.. However recently the number of mails has gone up--almost 25 mails in less than a week.Could you please look into this?

        Thanks,

        GSB
        gsbsgb@...

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor