Re: [prezveepsenator] Voting Rights Address by Lyndon Johnson in 1965

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2005
      oops, sorry about the last posts....He meant it. For
      me, the most remarkable about LBJ was his
      post-presidency. Not for what he did, but for how he
      changed. He moved back to central Texas and grew his
      hair long, as if he was joining the anti-war movement.
      I'd like to learn more about his decision- making
      process on the Gulf of Tonkin. Anybody know anything
      about that?

      ---------------------------------
      Voting Rights Address by Lyndon Johnson in 1965:
      http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/lbjweshallovercome.htm

      I caught it on C-SPAN a couple of weeks ago. Here is a
      piece of excerpt:

      "And somehow you never forget what poverty and hatred
      can do when you
      see its scars on the hopeful face of a young child. I
      never thought
      then, in 1928, that I would be standing here in 1965.
      It never even
      occurred to me in my fondest dreams that I might have
      the chance to
      help the sons and daughters of those students and to
      help people like
      them all over this country.

      But now I do have that chance -- and I'll let you in
      on a secret -- I
      mean to use it."

      I've studied LBJ for a few years, and I could see that
      he pretty much
      meant what he said in that speech. He was sincere and
      very brave,
      knowing it was a political suicide for his Party and
      would cost him
      some political assets.

      President bush
      Supreme court justices
      President
      Supreme court

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2005
        From Maureen Dowd's 8/20/05 column in the New York
        Times:

        Richard Nixon once gave me a lesson in the politics of
        war.

        Howell Raines, then the Washington bureau chief for
        The Times, took some reporters to meet Mr. Nixon right
        before the 1992 New Hampshire primary. The deposed
        president had requested that Howell bring along only
        reporters who were too young to have covered
        Watergate, so we tried to express an excess of
        Juvenalia spirit.
        Before the first vote of '92 was cast, Mr. Nixon laid
        out, state by state, how Bill Clinton, who was not
        even a sure bet for the Democratic nomination at that
        point, was going to defeat George Bush.
        If, Mr. Nixon said, Bill could keep a lid on Hillary
        (who had worked on the House Judiciary Committee
        looking into the Nixon impeachment), he'd have it
        made.
        "If the wife comes through as being too strong and too
        intelligent, it makes the husband look like a wimp,"
        he said.
        In his jaundiced view, the first President Bush had
        squandered his best re-election card: if the Persian
        Gulf war had still been going on, Mr. Bush could have
        been benefiting from that.
        "We had a lot of success with that in 1972," Mr. Nixon
        told us, with that famously uneasy baring of teeth
        that passed for a smile.
        Was he actually admitting what all the paranoid
        liberals had been yelping about 20 years earlier -
        that he had prolonged the Vietnam War so he could get
        re-elected?

        I find it remarkable that he could predict the outcome
        of 1992, but the apparent lack of remorse over
        politically-motivated warmongering absolutely floors
        me.
        LBJ, in contrast, was reportedly torn up by he
        protesters chanting " Hey, hey LBJ.. How many kids did
        you kill today?' outside the Oval Office.

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
          I recently caught part of a lecture by one John
          Stewart, who had worked on Hubert Humphrey's staff
          during the passing of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.
          Though obviously a modest man, he said he probably
          knew more about the forging of that legislation than
          any man alive, and he asserted that LBJ was fairly
          hands off on putting it together because he had
          delegated it to Humphrey, who handled it so adeptly
          that there was not much reason to meddle.
          Pulitzer Prize winning historian David McCullough has
          written that HHH contributed more to Harry Truman's
          re-election in 1948 than did Truman himself, by giving
          a speech at the 1948 Democratic Convention in favor of
          a civil rights plank in the platform, which was
          adopted. Though it caused some southern Democrats to
          walk out and form the Dixiecrats party, that was more
          than offset by the votes picked up from the northern
          black vote. Incidentally the Dixiecrats nominated
          Strom Thurmond, to whom Trent Lott was referring in
          his 2002 misfire that got him bounced from his Senate
          Majority leadership.

          Tom

          --- THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          From Maureen Dowd's 8/20/05 column in the New York

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 23, 2005
            And, of course, I'm predictably a Humphrey fan. I happen to have taped
            that program:

            http://www.c-spanstore.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_video_info&products_id=188129-1

            I first learned much about HHH and the very early days of the Civil
            Rights era after reading "The Walls of Jericho: Lyndon Johnson, Hubert
            Humphrey, Richard Russell, and the Struggle for Civil Rights" written
            by Robert Mann:

            http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0156005018/103-9560337-2998234?v=glance

            In my opinion, HHH is one of the most influential Senators in history.
            The DFLers have given the nation a good number of great statesmen, and
            Al Franken may be the next.

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>