Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31 5:54 PM
      Cleveland was the Governor of New York, he was the Democratic
      nominee in 1884. In 1880 the Democratic nominee was Winfield Scott
      Hancock:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Scott_Hancock

      Horatio Seymour was the Democratic nominee in 1868, he lost and the
      Republican nominee US Grant was elected.

      Horace Greeley was the Democratic nominee in 1872, he lost and Grant
      was re-elected.

      Hubert Horatio Humphrey was the Democratic nominee in 1968, he lost
      and Dick Nixon was elected.

      Those are all the Horatios and Horaces ever became a presidential
      nominee. :-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        Thank you, Ram. And I think I remember that Greeley died a few days
        before the election, or was it a few days after? Unless I'm thinking
        of someone else.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
          blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
          general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
          can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
          few days before the general election.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
            And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
            counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
            someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
            Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
            Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
              There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
              brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
              popular as his brother.

              Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
              name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
              Anti-trust Act!)

              This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
              a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
              other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

              Ram

              --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>