Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Ohio governor charged with four misdemeanors

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
      I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

      Looks like the Dems took a big bath in 1966, losing
      47 seats in the house and 4 in the senate. Figuring
      for population growth, it's probably roughly
      equivalent to 1994. Check 1998 out, however.

      B. Presidential Party Surge/Midterm Dropoff • But,
      the more they win in presidential election years, the
      more they are likely to lose during the midterm
      election. Midterm Fortunes of Presidential Parties,
      House and Senate, 1934-1998 Year President Seats
      Gained or Lost House Senate 1934 Roosevelt (D) +9 +10
      1938 Roosevelt (D) -71 -6 1942 Roosevelt (D) -55 -9
      1946 Roosevelt-Truman (D) -45 -12 1950 Truman (D) -29
      -6 1954 Eisenhower (R) -18 -1 1958 Eisenhower (R) -48
      -13 1962 Kennedy (D) -4 +3 1966 Johnson (D) -47 -4
      1970 Nixon (R) -12 +2 1974 Nixon-Ford (R) -48 -5 1978
      Carter (D) -15 -3 1982 Reagan (R) -26 +1 1986 Reagan
      (R) -5 -8 1990 Bush (R) -8 -1 1994 Clinton (D) -52 -8
      1998 Clinton (D) +5 0

      I still think there is something to be learned from
      the progressive strides of the early 20 century. What
      caused suffrage, child labor legislation, 40 hr work
      weeks, etc. to come about in a relatively short
      period of time? Maybe the Bolshevik revolution shook
      up the big money interests. Maybe it became obvious
      that it was smart politics.
      I don't think anybody ever accused Warren Harding of
      being a particularly enlightened thinker but he was
      the first president that women were allowed to vote
      for and he supported suffrage and won big.
      I also heard that Bush asked Catherine Harris not to
      run. She gave him what he wanted and he dumped her..
      could that be the neo-cons version of slam,bam,thank
      you, ma'am?

      ---------------------------------
      As we all know, Catherine Harris is running for Senate
      as well. Maybe
      the climax top for the neo-CONs? If 1964 for the
      conservatives was the
      2004 for the liberals, I'd like to find out what
      happened in 1966.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON
      <AVRCRDNG@F...>
      wrote:
      > Obesity aside, he still outlived his 3 opponents
      from
      > 1912. Secretary of State (and chief vote rigger)
      > Kenneth Blackwell has his eye on Bob's job.. Might
      see
      > Paul Hackett run for Secretary of State.
      >
      > --- Ram Lau <ramlau@y...> wrote:
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > This is just one of the many reasons that explain
      his
      > 19% approval
      > rating. Rather sad to see the way the "Taft dynasty"
      > died on Bob
      > Taft's watch (in infamy).
      >
      > His great-grandfather William Howard Taft, once
      stuck

      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-08-17T220842Z_01_HO779725_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-CRIME-OHIO-GOVERNOR-DC.XML

      > > Ohio gov. charged with criminal misdemeanors
      > > Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 PM ET
      > >
      > > COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Prosecutors in Ohio
      > charged
      > > Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday with four criminal
      > > misdemeanor counts alleging violations of state
      > ethics
      > > laws for not reporting golf games and other
      outings
      > > paid for by others.
      > >
      > > The charges marked the first time an Ohio governor
      > has
      > > been charged with a crime while in office. A Taft
      > > spokesman said the governor would not resign and
      > would
      > > have a statement on Thursday.
      > >
      > > The charges against the Republican governor also
      > > marked another step in a still-unfolding scandal
      > > dubbed "Coingate" that involves $13 million in
      > missing
      > > state funds and a top Ohio Republican fund-raiser.
      > >
      > > Stephen McIntosh, chief prosecutor for the
      Columbus
      > > city attorney, said most of the outings involved
      > golf
      > > but also included meals and tickets to see the
      > > Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team.
      > >
      > > The undeclared amounts totaled a little less than
      > > $6,000, McIntosh said. The governor subsequently
      > > notified state ethics commission officials about
      the
      > > outings that had been omitted in previous filings
      of
      > > yearly disclosure forms. McIntosh said the
      governor
      > is
      > > required to report gifts or benefits of $75 or
      more.

      > > Prosecutors were asking that Taft appear in court
      on
      > > Thursday morning, though if he chooses to enter a
      > not
      > > guilty plea only his lawyer would have to be
      > present,
      > > he said.
      > >
      > > If found guilty, he faces fines of $1,000 and six
      > > months in jail on each count, though jail time was
      > > considered unlikely.
      > >
      > > McIntosh said the probe of Taft grew out of an
      > > investigation into fund-raiser Tom Noe and the
      > state's
      > > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
      > >
      > > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
      > > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
      > > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the
      Coingate
      > > scandal.
      > >
      > > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly
      mismanaged
      > > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
      > > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
      > > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
      > > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes
      payments
      > > to disabled workers.
      > >
      > > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
      > the
      > > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
      > Howard
      > > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as
      chief
      > > justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

      Yahoo!
      > Terms of Service.