Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
      Hmm. Grover Cleveland (governor of Ohio?) was the candidate in 1884.
      But in 1880 I'm not sure who they nominated. I have a feeling they
      nominated someone named Horatio something and perhaps a Horace as
      well. Not sure exactly when for either of them.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
        Cleveland was the Governor of New York, he was the Democratic
        nominee in 1884. In 1880 the Democratic nominee was Winfield Scott
        Hancock:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Scott_Hancock

        Horatio Seymour was the Democratic nominee in 1868, he lost and the
        Republican nominee US Grant was elected.

        Horace Greeley was the Democratic nominee in 1872, he lost and Grant
        was re-elected.

        Hubert Horatio Humphrey was the Democratic nominee in 1968, he lost
        and Dick Nixon was elected.

        Those are all the Horatios and Horaces ever became a presidential
        nominee. :-)

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          Thank you, Ram. And I think I remember that Greeley died a few days
          before the election, or was it a few days after? Unless I'm thinking
          of someone else.

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
            It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
            blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
            general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
            can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
            few days before the general election.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
              And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
              counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
              someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
              Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
              Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
                brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
                popular as his brother.

                Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
                name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
                Anti-trust Act!)

                This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
                a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
                other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

                Ram

                --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>