Re: [prezveepsenator] Re: Ohio governor charged with four misdemeanors

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17 11:58 PM
      Obesity aside, he still outlived his 3 opponents from
      1912. Secretary of State (and chief vote rigger)
      Kenneth Blackwell has his eye on Bob's job.. Might see
      Paul Hackett run for Secretary of State.

      --- Ram Lau <ramlau@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      This is just one of the many reasons that explain his
      19% approval
      rating. Rather sad to see the way the "Taft dynasty"
      died on Bob
      Taft's watch (in infamy).

      His great-grandfather William Howard Taft, once stuck
      in the White
      House bathtub, is probably rolling in his grave?

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon
      <gregcannon1@y...>
      wrote:

      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-08-17T220842Z_01_HO779725_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-CRIME-OHIO-GOVERNOR-DC.XML

      > Ohio gov. charged with criminal misdemeanors
      > Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 PM ET
      >
      > COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Prosecutors in Ohio
      charged
      > Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday with four criminal
      > misdemeanor counts alleging violations of state
      ethics
      > laws for not reporting golf games and other outings
      > paid for by others.
      >
      > The charges marked the first time an Ohio governor
      has
      > been charged with a crime while in office. A Taft
      > spokesman said the governor would not resign and
      would
      > have a statement on Thursday.
      >
      > The charges against the Republican governor also
      > marked another step in a still-unfolding scandal
      > dubbed "Coingate" that involves $13 million in
      missing
      > state funds and a top Ohio Republican fund-raiser.
      >
      > Stephen McIntosh, chief prosecutor for the Columbus
      > city attorney, said most of the outings involved
      golf
      > but also included meals and tickets to see the
      > Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team.
      >
      > The undeclared amounts totaled a little less than
      > $6,000, McIntosh said. The governor subsequently
      > notified state ethics commission officials about the
      > outings that had been omitted in previous filings of
      > yearly disclosure forms. McIntosh said the governor
      is
      > required to report gifts or benefits of $75 or more.
      >
      > Prosecutors were asking that Taft appear in court on
      > Thursday morning, though if he chooses to enter a
      not
      > guilty plea only his lawyer would have to be
      present,
      > he said.
      >
      > If found guilty, he faces fines of $1,000 and six
      > months in jail on each count, though jail time was
      > considered unlikely.
      >
      > McIntosh said the probe of Taft grew out of an
      > investigation into fund-raiser Tom Noe and the
      state's
      > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
      >
      > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
      > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
      > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the Coingate
      > scandal.
      >
      > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly mismanaged
      > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
      > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
      > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
      > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes payments
      > to disabled workers.
      >
      > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
      the
      > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
      Howard
      > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as chief
      > justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18 12:13 AM
        As we all know, Catherine Harris is running for Senate as well. Maybe
        the climax top for the neo-CONs? If 1964 for the conservatives was the
        2004 for the liberals, I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18 6:57 AM
          I saw an article yesterday that Joe Scarborough,
          former congressman and current NBC pundit, said he's
          thinking of running in the GOP primary against Harris.
          The article suggested that the White House wants to
          find a candidate less polarizing than Harris, and
          Scarborough's got plenty of name recognition.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18 7:22 PM
            I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

            Looks like the Dems took a big bath in 1966, losing
            47 seats in the house and 4 in the senate. Figuring
            for population growth, it's probably roughly
            equivalent to 1994. Check 1998 out, however.

            B. Presidential Party Surge/Midterm Dropoff • But,
            the more they win in presidential election years, the
            more they are likely to lose during the midterm
            election. Midterm Fortunes of Presidential Parties,
            House and Senate, 1934-1998 Year President Seats
            Gained or Lost House Senate 1934 Roosevelt (D) +9 +10
            1938 Roosevelt (D) -71 -6 1942 Roosevelt (D) -55 -9
            1946 Roosevelt-Truman (D) -45 -12 1950 Truman (D) -29
            -6 1954 Eisenhower (R) -18 -1 1958 Eisenhower (R) -48
            -13 1962 Kennedy (D) -4 +3 1966 Johnson (D) -47 -4
            1970 Nixon (R) -12 +2 1974 Nixon-Ford (R) -48 -5 1978
            Carter (D) -15 -3 1982 Reagan (R) -26 +1 1986 Reagan
            (R) -5 -8 1990 Bush (R) -8 -1 1994 Clinton (D) -52 -8
            1998 Clinton (D) +5 0

            I still think there is something to be learned from
            the progressive strides of the early 20 century. What
            caused suffrage, child labor legislation, 40 hr work
            weeks, etc. to come about in a relatively short
            period of time? Maybe the Bolshevik revolution shook
            up the big money interests. Maybe it became obvious
            that it was smart politics.
            I don't think anybody ever accused Warren Harding of
            being a particularly enlightened thinker but he was
            the first president that women were allowed to vote
            for and he supported suffrage and won big.
            I also heard that Bush asked Catherine Harris not to
            run. She gave him what he wanted and he dumped her..
            could that be the neo-cons version of slam,bam,thank
            you, ma'am?

            ---------------------------------

            wrote:
> [...]
            > state's
            > > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
            > >
            > > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
            > > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
            > > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the
            Coingate
            > > scandal.
            > >
            > > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly
            mismanaged
            > > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
            > > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
            > > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
            > > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes
            payments
            > > to disabled workers.
            > >
            > > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
            > the
            > > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
            > Howard
            > > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as

            Terms of Service.