Ohio governor charged with four misdemeanors

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
      http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-08-17T220842Z_01_HO779725_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-CRIME-OHIO-GOVERNOR-DC.XML

      Ohio gov. charged with criminal misdemeanors
      Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 PM ET

      COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Prosecutors in Ohio charged
      Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday with four criminal
      misdemeanor counts alleging violations of state ethics
      laws for not reporting golf games and other outings
      paid for by others.

      The charges marked the first time an Ohio governor has
      been charged with a crime while in office. A Taft
      spokesman said the governor would not resign and would
      have a statement on Thursday.

      The charges against the Republican governor also
      marked another step in a still-unfolding scandal
      dubbed "Coingate" that involves $13 million in missing
      state funds and a top Ohio Republican fund-raiser.

      Stephen McIntosh, chief prosecutor for the Columbus
      city attorney, said most of the outings involved golf
      but also included meals and tickets to see the
      Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team.

      The undeclared amounts totaled a little less than
      $6,000, McIntosh said. The governor subsequently
      notified state ethics commission officials about the
      outings that had been omitted in previous filings of
      yearly disclosure forms. McIntosh said the governor is
      required to report gifts or benefits of $75 or more.

      Prosecutors were asking that Taft appear in court on
      Thursday morning, though if he chooses to enter a not
      guilty plea only his lawyer would have to be present,
      he said.

      If found guilty, he faces fines of $1,000 and six
      months in jail on each count, though jail time was
      considered unlikely.

      McIntosh said the probe of Taft grew out of an
      investigation into fund-raiser Tom Noe and the state's
      Bureau of Workers Compensation.

      Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
      guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
      gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the Coingate
      scandal.

      Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly mismanaged a
      $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
      attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
      investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
      Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes payments
      to disabled workers.

      Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in the
      U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William Howard
      Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as chief
      justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
        This is just one of the many reasons that explain his 19% approval
        rating. Rather sad to see the way the "Taft dynasty" died on Bob
        Taft's watch (in infamy).

        His great-grandfather William Howard Taft, once stuck in the White
        House bathtub, is probably rolling in his grave?

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2005
          Obesity aside, he still outlived his 3 opponents from
          1912. Secretary of State (and chief vote rigger)
          Kenneth Blackwell has his eye on Bob's job.. Might see
          Paul Hackett run for Secretary of State.

          ---------------------------------

          wrote:

          http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2005-08-17T220842Z_01_HO779725_RTRIDST_0_POLITICS-CRIME-OHIO-GOVERNOR-DC.XML

          > Ohio gov. charged with criminal misdemeanors
          > Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:09 PM ET
          >
          > COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Prosecutors in Ohio
          charged
          > Gov. Bob Taft on Wednesday with four criminal
          > misdemeanor counts alleging violations of state
          ethics
          > laws for not reporting golf games and other outings
          > paid for by others.
          >
          > The charges marked the first time an Ohio governor
          has
          > been charged with a crime while in office. A Taft
          > spokesman said the governor would not resign and
          would
          > have a statement on Thursday.
          >
          > The charges against the Republican governor also
          > marked another step in a still-unfolding scandal
          > dubbed "Coingate" that involves $13 million in
          missing
          > state funds and a top Ohio Republican fund-raiser.
          >
          > Stephen McIntosh, chief prosecutor for the Columbus
          > city attorney, said most of the outings involved
          golf
          > but also included meals and tickets to see the
          > Columbus Blue Jackets hockey team.
          >
          > The undeclared amounts totaled a little less than
          > $6,000, McIntosh said. The governor subsequently
          > notified state ethics commission officials about the
          > outings that had been omitted in previous filings of
          > yearly disclosure forms. McIntosh said the governor
          is
          > required to report gifts or benefits of $75 or more.
          >
          > Prosecutors were asking that Taft appear in court on
          > Thursday morning, though if he chooses to enter a
          not
          > guilty plea only his lawyer would have to be
          present,
          > he said.
          >
          > If found guilty, he faces fines of $1,000 and six
          > months in jail on each count, though jail time was
          > considered unlikely.
          >
          > McIntosh said the probe of Taft grew out of an
          > investigation into fund-raiser Tom Noe and the
          state's
          > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
          >
          > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
          > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
          > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the Coingate
          > scandal.
          >
          > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly mismanaged
          > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
          > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
          > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
          > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes payments
          > to disabled workers.
          >
          > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
          the
          > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
          Howard
          > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as chief
          > justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
            As we all know, Catherine Harris is running for Senate as well. Maybe
            the climax top for the neo-CONs? If 1964 for the conservatives was the
            2004 for the liberals, I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

            Ram

            --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS JOHNSON <AVRCRDNG@F...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
              I saw an article yesterday that Joe Scarborough,
              former congressman and current NBC pundit, said he's
              thinking of running in the GOP primary against Harris.
              The article suggested that the White House wants to
              find a candidate less polarizing than Harris, and
              Scarborough's got plenty of name recognition.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 18, 2005
                I'd like to find out what happened in 1966.

                Looks like the Dems took a big bath in 1966, losing
                47 seats in the house and 4 in the senate. Figuring
                for population growth, it's probably roughly
                equivalent to 1994. Check 1998 out, however.

                B. Presidential Party Surge/Midterm Dropoff • But,
                the more they win in presidential election years, the
                more they are likely to lose during the midterm
                election. Midterm Fortunes of Presidential Parties,
                House and Senate, 1934-1998 Year President Seats
                Gained or Lost House Senate 1934 Roosevelt (D) +9 +10
                1938 Roosevelt (D) -71 -6 1942 Roosevelt (D) -55 -9
                1946 Roosevelt-Truman (D) -45 -12 1950 Truman (D) -29
                -6 1954 Eisenhower (R) -18 -1 1958 Eisenhower (R) -48
                -13 1962 Kennedy (D) -4 +3 1966 Johnson (D) -47 -4
                1970 Nixon (R) -12 +2 1974 Nixon-Ford (R) -48 -5 1978
                Carter (D) -15 -3 1982 Reagan (R) -26 +1 1986 Reagan
                (R) -5 -8 1990 Bush (R) -8 -1 1994 Clinton (D) -52 -8
                1998 Clinton (D) +5 0

                I still think there is something to be learned from
                the progressive strides of the early 20 century. What
                caused suffrage, child labor legislation, 40 hr work
                weeks, etc. to come about in a relatively short
                period of time? Maybe the Bolshevik revolution shook
                up the big money interests. Maybe it became obvious
                that it was smart politics.
                I don't think anybody ever accused Warren Harding of
                being a particularly enlightened thinker but he was
                the first president that women were allowed to vote
                for and he supported suffrage and won big.
                I also heard that Bush asked Catherine Harris not to
                run. She gave him what he wanted and he dumped her..
                could that be the neo-cons version of slam,bam,thank
                you, ma'am?

                ---------------------------------

                wrote:
> [...]
                > state's
                > > Bureau of Workers Compensation.
                > >
                > > Last month, Taft's former chief of staff was found
                > > guilty of violating ethics laws by not disclosing
                > > gifts from Noe, who is at the heart of the
                Coingate
                > > scandal.
                > >
                > > Noe was a rare coin dealer who allegedly
                mismanaged
                > > $50 million state investment in rare coins. Noe's
                > > attorney has said $13 million was missing from the
                > > investment made for Ohio's Bureau of Worker's
                > > Compensation, a $15 billion fund that makes
                payments
                > > to disabled workers.
                > >
                > > Gov. Taft's father and grandfather both served in
                > the
                > > U.S. Senate and his great-grandfather, William
                > Howard
                > > Taft, was the 27th U.S. president, as well as

                Terms of Service.