Re: another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
      Conkling and Blaine were the biggest crooks in the gilded age. What
      did they have on the Democratic side back then?

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
        Hmm. Grover Cleveland (governor of Ohio?) was the candidate in 1884.
        But in 1880 I'm not sure who they nominated. I have a feeling they
        nominated someone named Horatio something and perhaps a Horace as
        well. Not sure exactly when for either of them.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
          Cleveland was the Governor of New York, he was the Democratic
          nominee in 1884. In 1880 the Democratic nominee was Winfield Scott
          Hancock:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Scott_Hancock

          Horatio Seymour was the Democratic nominee in 1868, he lost and the
          Republican nominee US Grant was elected.

          Horace Greeley was the Democratic nominee in 1872, he lost and Grant
          was re-elected.

          Hubert Horatio Humphrey was the Democratic nominee in 1968, he lost
          and Dick Nixon was elected.

          Those are all the Horatios and Horaces ever became a presidential
          nominee. :-)

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
            Thank you, Ram. And I think I remember that Greeley died a few days
            before the election, or was it a few days after? Unless I'm thinking
            of someone else.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
              It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
              blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
              general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
              can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
              few days before the general election.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
                counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
                someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
                Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
                Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                  There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
                  brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
                  popular as his brother.

                  Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
                  name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
                  Anti-trust Act!)

                  This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
                  a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
                  other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

                  Ram

                  --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>