another man who didn't want to be president

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
      I could not be nominated in any event, for if I were to receive every
      other vote in the Convention, my own would still be lacking, and that
      I would not give. I am here as the agent of New York to support
      General Grant to the end. Any man who would forsake him under such
      conditions does not deserve to be elected, and could not be elected.
      -Senator Roscoe Conkling, when friends suggested he seek the
      Republican Party's nomination for president, 1880
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
        Conkling and Blaine were the biggest crooks in the gilded age. What
        did they have on the Democratic side back then?

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
          Hmm. Grover Cleveland (governor of Ohio?) was the candidate in 1884.
          But in 1880 I'm not sure who they nominated. I have a feeling they
          nominated someone named Horatio something and perhaps a Horace as
          well. Not sure exactly when for either of them.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2004
            Cleveland was the Governor of New York, he was the Democratic
            nominee in 1884. In 1880 the Democratic nominee was Winfield Scott
            Hancock:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Scott_Hancock

            Horatio Seymour was the Democratic nominee in 1868, he lost and the
            Republican nominee US Grant was elected.

            Horace Greeley was the Democratic nominee in 1872, he lost and Grant
            was re-elected.

            Hubert Horatio Humphrey was the Democratic nominee in 1968, he lost
            and Dick Nixon was elected.

            Those are all the Horatios and Horaces ever became a presidential
            nominee. :-)

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
              Thank you, Ram. And I think I remember that Greeley died a few days
              before the election, or was it a few days after? Unless I'm thinking
              of someone else.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                It wasn't Greeley. But I know what you are talking about. I can also
                blurrily remember some guy did lose and died a few days after the
                general election in the mid- to late-1800s. But the closest thing I
                can find is James Sherman, Taft's running mate in 1912, who died a
                few days before the general election.

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                  And whoever it was died before the electoral votes were officialy
                  counted, so his votes mostly went to other people. I think it was
                  someone who lost to Grant, so either in 1868 or 1872.
                  Was James Sherman related to the Sherman (brother of William Tecumseh
                  Sherman) who was seeking the Republican nomination in 1880?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
                    There were lots of Shermans back then. William T. Sherman had a
                    brother who was a presidential nominee wannabe but never was as
                    popular as his brother.

                    Then there was Senator John Sherman, who was famous for tagging his
                    name on important legislations. (Who doesn't remember the Sherman
                    Anti-trust Act!)

                    This Sherman that we are talking about is James Schoolcraft Sherman,
                    a House member from New York. Whether he had anything to do with the
                    other guys... Greg, I have no clue.

                    Ram

                    --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>