Re: The Hampton Roads Peace Conference

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2005
      "Like other Republicans, Radicals were greatly relieved that the
      president made no concessions to the rebels at Hampton Roads. Thus,
      Lincoln's handling of the Hampton Roads Peace Conference, including
      events leading to it, brought him the kind of broad support and even
      acclaim in the North that had eluded him for most of the war."

      Which reminds me of this book:

      Radical Middle: The Politics We Need Now by Mark Satin
      www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813341906/qid=1123612442/sr=2-
      1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1724904-3870503

      ...and this:

      The Vital Center: The Politics of Freedom by Arthur M. Schlesinger
      www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813341906/qid=1123612442/sr=2-
      1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1724904-3870503

      Schlesinger is one of my favorite historians, by the way.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>