The Hampton Roads Peace Conference

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7 10:10 AM
      I asked people on several Civil War discussion yahoo groups if they'd
      heard about the meeting between Lincoln and Confederate negotiators in
      January 1865, and one person sent me this link which has a lot of
      information about the meeting.

      http://jala.press.uiuc.edu/21.1/harris.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 9 11:36 AM
        "Like other Republicans, Radicals were greatly relieved that the
        president made no concessions to the rebels at Hampton Roads. Thus,
        Lincoln's handling of the Hampton Roads Peace Conference, including
        events leading to it, brought him the kind of broad support and even
        acclaim in the North that had eluded him for most of the war."

        Which reminds me of this book:

        Radical Middle: The Politics We Need Now by Mark Satin
        www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813341906/qid=1123612442/sr=2-
        1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1724904-3870503

        ...and this:

        The Vital Center: The Politics of Freedom by Arthur M. Schlesinger
        www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0813341906/qid=1123612442/sr=2-
        1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1724904-3870503

        Schlesinger is one of my favorite historians, by the way.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>