Re: Civil War question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2005
      Not all that surprising to me. Remember Lincoln was a rather moderate
      Republican? He disagreed with the Radical Republicans and desired to
      heal the nation as soon as possible. In his own words:

      "With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the
      right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish
      the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him
      who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to
      do all which may achieve and cherish a just, and a lasting peace,
      among ourselves, and with all nations."

      He probably wanted to stop the increasing casualties more than
      anything else by 1865.

      Ram

      --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>