Civil War question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2005
      I've been reading Dean B. Mahin's "One War At A Time: The
      International Dimensions Of The American Civil War" and came across
      something that surprised me. On pages 237 & 238 it describes a meeting
      that Lincoln and Seward, his Secretary of State, had with 3
      Confederate agents in February 1865. They met on a Union warship. The
      Confederates proposed that the two sides call a truce and postpone
      their fighting till they had kicked the French forces out of Mexico.
      Lincoln said no, he wanted no truce with the Confederates, especially
      since by that point the Union looked sure to win. His answer is no
      surprise, but I was surprised to hear that he ever met with
      Confederate agents to discuss the possibility of a truce. Have any of
      you ever heard anything like that?

      Greg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2005
        Not all that surprising to me. Remember Lincoln was a rather moderate
        Republican? He disagreed with the Radical Republicans and desired to
        heal the nation as soon as possible. In his own words:

        "With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the
        right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish
        the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him
        who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan--to
        do all which may achieve and cherish a just, and a lasting peace,
        among ourselves, and with all nations."

        He probably wanted to stop the increasing casualties more than
        anything else by 1865.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, "greg" <gregcannon1@y...>