John Roberts on the Issues

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19 9:19 PM
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/19/AR2005071902055.html

      John Roberts on the Issues

      The Associated Press
      Tuesday, July 19, 2005; 10:51 PM

      -- Some of John Roberts' stands on issues that come
      before the Supreme Court:

      ABORTION: As a lawyer in the administration of
      President Bush's father, he helped write a Supreme
      Court brief that said, "We continue to believe that
      Roe (v. Wade) was wrongly decided and should be
      overruled."

      RELIGION: Roberts unsuccessfully urged the Supreme
      Court to rule that public schools could sponsor prayer
      at graduation ceremonies. "We do not believe ... that
      graduation ceremonies pose a risk of coercion," said
      the brief Roberts helped to write on behalf of the
      first Bush administration.

      ENVIRONMENT: As a judge, he was sympathetic to
      arguments that wildlife regulations were
      unconstitutional as applied to a California
      construction project. The government feared the
      project would hurt arroyo toads.

      CRIMINAL MATTERS: His votes on the bench have been
      mixed. He ruled in favor of a man who challenged his
      sentence for fraud, then said police did not violate
      the constitutional rights of a 12-year-old girl who
      was arrested, handcuffed and detained for eating a
      single french fry inside a train station in
      Washington.

      POLICE SEARCHES: Joined an appeals court ruling in
      2004 that upheld police trunk searches, even if
      officers do not say they are looking for evidence of a
      crime.

      MILITARY TRIBUNALS: Roberts was part of a unanimous
      decision last week that allowed the Pentagon to
      proceed with plans to use military tribunals to try
      terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20 4:27 PM
        Does not look good to me at all. Another Scalia in the making.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon