Re: quotes on Seward

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2005
      I'm not sure (because I've only read about half the book) but I think
      that may be the only part that mentions Seward's presidential
      ambitions. It's really a fascinating book, and gives a great deal of
      insight into Lincoln. The book focuses on Union and Confederate
      diplomacy with Britain, France, and Mexico. There was one occasion
      when there was a very real possibility of war with Britain, during the
      Trent crisis at the end of 1861. But Lincoln and Seward managed to
      smooth that over.