Harper's page on 1860-1912 presidential elections

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3 9:23 AM
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5 11:28 PM
        The 1860 election is very much "underrated" IMHO. When people talk
        about critical elections, it has mostly been 1800, 1876, 1912, 1932,
        1960, 1992, and 2000. But we don't hear much about Governor William
        Henry Seward, the frontrunner of the 1860 Republican nomination
        against Lincoln, and John Cabell Breckenridge, the 1860 Democratic
        presidential nominee and Vice Persident under James Buchanan.

        And there was also John Cromwell Bell from Tennessee. It was an
        election that shouldn't be ignored.

        Ram

        --- In prezveepsenator@yahoogroups.com, Greg Cannon <gregcannon1@y...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6 7:34 AM
          I've been reading Dean B. Mahin's book "One War At A
          Time: The International Dimensions Of The Civil War"
          and it has some discussion of Seward's presidential
          ambitions (am I correct in thinking Governor Seward is
          the same Seward who later become Lincoln's Secretary
          of State?). I'd find you some quotes from the book,
          but I don't have time right now.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6 9:23 PM
            You are right, Greg. Same Seward. I look forward to the quotes!