Happy July 4th!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2005
      The library of Congress website always have rare stuff to entertain us:

      http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/today/jul04.html

      ...including the following speech given by Governor Coolidge (1920) in
      audio format:

      "Equal Rights"

      July 4, 1776 was the historic day on which the representatives of
      three millions of people vocalized Concord, and Lexington, and Bunker
      Hill, which gave notice to the world that they proposed to establish
      an independent nation on the theory that all men are created equal,
      that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable
      rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
      happiness. The wonder and glory of the American people is not the
      ringing Declaration of that day, but the action then already begun,
      and in the process of being carried out, in spite of every obstacle
      that war could interpose, making the theory of freedom and equality a
      reality.

      We revere that day because it marks the beginnings of independence,
      the beginnings of a constitution that was finally to give universal
      freedom and equality to all American citizens -- the beginnings of a
      government that was to recognize beyond all others the power and worth
      and dignity of man. There began the first of governments to
      acknowledge that it was founded on the sovereignty of the people.
      There the world first beheld the revelation of modern democracy.

      Democracy is not a tearing down; it is a building up. It is not denial
      of the divine right of kings; it supplements that same with the
      assertion of the divine right of all men. It does not destroy; it
      fulfills. It is the consummation of all theories of government, the
      spirit of which all the nations of the earth must yield. It is the
      great constructive course of the ages. It is the alpha and omega of
      man's relation to man, the beginning and the end. There is, and can
      be, no more doubt of the triumphs of democracy in human affairs than
      there is of the triumph of gravitation in the physical world. The only
      question is how and when. Its foundation lays hold upon eternity. It
      is unconcerned with the idolatry, or despotism, or treason, or
      rebellion, or betrayal, but bows in reverence before Moses, or Hamden,
      or Washington, or Lincoln, or the lights that shone on Calvary.

      The doctrine of the Declaration of Independence predicated upon the
      glory of man and the corresponding duty to society that the rights of
      citizens ought to be protected with every power and resource of the
      state, and a government that does any less is false to the teachings
      of that great document -- false to the name American. The assertion of
      human rights is not but a call of human sacrifice. This is yet the
      spirit of the American people. Only so long as this flame burns shall
      we endure, and the light of liberty be shed over the nations of the
      earth. May the increase of the years increase for America only the
      devotion to this spirit, only the intensity of this flame, and the
      eternal truth of [Lowell's] lines: "What were our lives without thee
      -- what all our lives to save thee? We recked not but we gave thee. We
      will not dare to doubt thee. But ask whatever else and we will dare."