FBI Whistle-Blower to Run for Congress

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28 7:10 PM
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050628/ap_on_el_ho/rowley_congress

      FBI Whistle-Blower to Run for Congress

      By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated Press Writer Tue
      Jun 28, 5:01 PM ET

      WASHINGTON - Former FBI whistle-blower Coleen Rowley
      will run for Congress as a Democrat in Minnesota's 2nd
      Congressional District, where she hopes to knock off
      GOP Rep. John Kline.

      "I'm concerned about the direction of the country,"
      Rowley said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "We have
      done things that have made us less safe, among them
      the
      Iraq invasion and the loss of our allies and the moral
      high ground in international affairs."

      Rowley, 50, was named one of Time magazine's Persons
      of the Year for 2002 after writing a critical memo on
      FBI intelligence failures.

      She had sought a seat this year on the new Privacy and
      Civil Liberties Oversight Board, designed to ensure
      that government actions in the war on terror do not
      infringe on people's rights. But when President Bush
      appointed members of the board earlier this month,
      Rowley's name was not on the list. She said that was a
      factor in deciding to run for Congress.

      Rowley will face an uphill campaign in a conservative
      district that Kline won by 16 percentage points last
      year. Also, Kline's opponent in that race, Teresa
      Daly, might run again. Daly did not return phone
      messages Tuesday, but her 2004 campaign manager, Darin
      Broton, said, "If I was betting, I'd say she will
      run."

      Rowley said the district's conservatism would play to
      some of her strengths.

      "I'm also quite conservative in many respects," she
      said. "I'm fiscally conservative, and conservative on
      law-enforcement-type issues."

      Rowley, who retired from the FBI last year, said Kline
      has voted too much in lockstep with the Bush
      administration. "A congressman should be
      independent-minded," she said.

      Kline spokeswoman Angelyn Shapiro declined to comment
      on Rowley, saying the congressman was focused on his work.