Sen. Hutchison to seek Policy Committee post

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2005
      http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/062205/hutchison.html

      Sen. Hutchison to seek Policy Committee post
      By Geoff Earle

      Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) has set her sights
      on the Republican Policy Committee chair, the No. 4
      post in the Republican leadership — just a few days
      after deciding not to run for governor of Texas.

      “She’s been thinking about running for policy chair
      for a long time now,” said her spokesman, Chris
      Paulitz. “This is something she’s solidified. … She’s
      made up her mind.”

      On Monday, Hutchison told The Hill she would make her
      decision after talking to the current policy chairman,
      Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.). “I’m trying to determine the
      best place for me,” she said, adding that she would
      not challenge a current leader who was trying to move
      up in the leadership ranks.

      Kyl is expected to seek the GOP conference chair next
      year, and Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) could seek
      Hutchison’s current vice-chair spot. Majority Leader
      Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) is expected to retire in 2006.

      Hutchison recently decided not to challenge Texas Gov.
      Rick Perry (R), in a decision some have said was a
      great relief to the White House. President Bush has
      indicated he will stay neutral in the upcoming GOP
      governor primary in Texas.