The earliest candidate for 2008?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 19, 2005
      I think other senators, governors, etc have been
      flirting with the idea, but Biden seems to now be more
      definite about his intentions than the rest of them.
      Anyone's thoughts on him? What sort of senator has he
      been, what sort of president might he be? I know that
      a few weeks ago he called for the closure of the
      Guantanamo prison. Anyone already got their heart set
      on a different candidate or a different party?

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050619/ap_on_go_co/biden2008;_ylt=AjstapatP1q.RXyDe2xLZgOWwvIE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

      Biden Intends to Seek Presidency in 2008

      Sun Jun 19, 3:40 PM ET

      WASHINGTON - Sen. Joseph Biden (news, bio, voting
      record), D-Del., said Sunday he intends to run for
      president in 2008.

      But Biden, who also sought the nomination in 1988,
      said he would give himself until the end of this year
      to determine if he really can raise enough money and
      attract enough support.

      Going after the nomination "is a real possibility," he
      said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

      "My intention, as I sit here now, is, as I've
      proceeded since last November as if I were going to
      run. I'm quite frankly going out, seeing whether I can
      gather the kind of support," Biden said.

      Biden said he was taking his "game on the road,
      letting people know what I think."

      He added, "If, in fact, I think that I have a clear
      shot at winning the nomination by this November or
      December, then I'm going to seek the nomination."

      Biden dropped out of the 1988 presidential race after
      a series of disclosures that he had liberally borrowed
      from other politicians in his stump speeches and after
      questions about his law school records.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2005
        Daily Kos the anti-establishment Deanie doesn't like him. Al Franken
        said he's cool with Biden. My opinion is that he's too boring as a
        presidential nominee. I like him personally though. He has been a
        decent Senator in all these years.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2005
          I also like Biden. A friend of mine on another list had some criticism
          of him:

          "Biden has been outspoken in his criticism of the Bush administration
          and the handling of the Iraq war. I have written to him several times
          in his capacity as a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee,
          protesting US foreign poliicy. I've never gotten a response and his web
          page is very clear about "Delawarians" will get responses from him,
          which I guess is fair. On the other hand, he was one of the first last
          week to distance himself from DNC Chairman Dean, saying "Dean doesn't
          speak for me," after Dean had the gall to say bad things about the
          Republicans in public. And, he was one of the Demcrats who voted for
          the new Bankruptcy Act. He represents Delaware, where many credit card
          companies are headquartered, including MBNA, which basically wrote that
          (terrible piece of) legislation. I listened to an NPR report while that
          legislation was still in committee and he was actually very rude to
          some of the witnesses who wanted to testify against that bill.

          So there you have Joe Biden, the Senator from MBNA, as he's known at
          some message boards I visit. In the end, another corpo-Democrat, I
          think. For more on Biden, check this (also has a very old picture of
          him)."

          http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cid=N00001669&cycle=2006